Sunday, March 26, 2023

Race Report: Shelbyville Triathlon

 Race Report: Shelbyville Sprint Tri, March 26, 2023

Team JCC Katie, Eli, me, Julia, Beth and Sandi in front

I signed up for this race at the last minute because I wasn't sure how I felt about performing in front of all my friends and my athletes I'm coaching this month.  I knew I'd be slow and likely not happy with my abilities to run and get up to speed so was concerned I'd just feel too pressured by my desire to perform well and my inability to achieve what I wanted.  However, I finally decided that I wanted a training race ahead of the USAT Triathlon festival in Irving Tx on April 19-23 where I'll be racing in four races.  I'm glad I decided to do this race as it was a good chance to ride outside for the first time in a very long time.  I've been spinning inside a lot but no outdoor riding since last October. 

I cleaned up my Trek Speed Concept yesterday in preparation for the race.  I cleaned the chain and lubricated it, and polished the bike up.  I packed my transition bags.  I decided to use two so I had my bike and run stuff in one and the swim stuff in the other since this was a pool swim.  

The race director emailed that the tri would be reversed due to the weather forecast.  So we would start with a run of 5K, a bike ride of 12 miles and a snake swim in the pool of 400 yards.  

I arrived about 7:24AM ahead of most of the competitors so I had a relaxed time getting myself set up.  I checked in and said hi to a couple of Landshark teammates who were volunteering and hung out in the warm building for a bit.  The temperature was in the 30s this morning and the grass had frost on it.  

I headed down to transition and set up my bike, bike shoes and helmet with a cap to keep my head warm in the chill.  I had my Coeur tri suit on but needed a long sleeve shirt and jacket on top as well as my Team USA long pants, gloves and bamboo socks for the run.  I got my Garmin set up, but it's been quite a while since I used the multi sport function and apparently I didn't get it set up properly because it didn't work.  I also had my Fenix 235 on and it worked but only registered the race time and my HR on the "other" function.  

I took my second bag with my goggles ad swim cap up to the pool and left it with my glasses case just inside the door for the swim leg at the end.  

After the course talk at the pool, we all filed out to the race start.  I knew I'd struggle with this run. I knew the course from doing it two years ago so I was aware that there were several hills, some gravel areas with uneven terrain and that my HR is still spiking on my runs these days.  I started out with a good run, but the first hill stopped me and from behind I heard Les, one of my athletes I'm training.  She said we could stick together.  I decided that was a good plan so we did a walk and run based mostly on our HR.  I figured the run would be close to 45 mins and it was 50 minutes by the race results.  The day wasbeautiful but chilly so this was a pleasant time.  I also got a chance to learn more about Les and I'm very glad of this opportunity.  She is an amazing person and I'm grateful for this chance to learn more about her.  

We got to transition, the last two across the run finish line.  I said good bye to her and ran to my bike and got my helmet, gloves and shoes on and headed out.  It was still very chilly out.  I still had my jacket, long sleeve shirt and long pants on and I was happy to have them.  The route for this race is a two loop route.  There is a slight hill and a lumpy bridge at first,then a couple of hills to the first turn onto 55.  This is a busy road and there was a serious head wind. I was very glad I had put on a cap under the helmet and closed up the air vent on the helmet as well.  The second turn was mostly flat with a good wind in yaw to the third turn where the wind was at my back.  This has a lovely downhill that I used to the fullest extent possible...I'm not sure how fast I was going since my garmin never did work properly, but I'm betting it as 20+ MPH on that little area.  Then another turn and a fairly steep short hill to another turn and a curve to the last turn with a nice downhill past the transition for the second loop.  One the second loop I did better on the gearing and I think it was a bit faster than the first pass.  I did manage to pass about 5 people on the bike so I wasn't completely last anymore.  I said hey to Lora and the volunteer landsharks on the passes and thanked all the volunteers on the bike course, twice.  I got into transition as many were leaving the swim.  Quite a few bikes were already gone so it felt like the race was about over as I racked my bike.  I stripped down to my Coeur Onsie and put on my running shoes and headed up to the pool...which is up a steep hill so I was only able to walk up to the pool.  I met a few friends leaving the pool on the way up who encouraged me and said the pool was warmed up for me.  :) 

Chip on the arm!
I got to the pool deck, got my swim cap and goggles and headed to the pool start.  I saw several of my athletes from the JCC training program who cheered me on.  I switched my chip from my ankle to my arm so I didn' have to haul my ass out at the end with no stairs to get to the tracker.  This is because I tend to cramp when I exit the pool by climbing at the edge, AND two years ago I slipped while doing this an broke several ribs.  The water was pretty warm, almost toow warm and I felt a bit claustrophobic because of it, but I managed to control that feeling and had a pretty good pace. I really wanted to just hang on the side a the turns and get some air but I decided I could get this swim done and went for it.  I had a few good turns under the lines and a few where I hit the lane lines but mostly it was trouble free until I passed a back stroker on the last length and took a mouthful of water as I was trying to breathe.  I managed to keep going and resolved that without stopping.  I finished the race in 1:53.  


Race Results: 

First Place AG 65+

Run 50:14  Transition #1  1:25  Bike 48:27  Transition #2 4:11  Swim 9:16

First Place Female AG 65+...I was the only person in this age group but it was a lovely way to end this morning!  

I did make it to my spin class today and did 45 minutes with Sandi as an active recovery for this race.  

I was very proud of all the racers from my JCC class as well.  Katie, Beth, Eli, Les, and Julia all raced today.  Such a proud coach!  Eli got first place in his age group also. Katie was 5th and Julia was 4th. Beth was 5th and Les was 4th   Sandi was there cheering for us all.  Such an inspiring day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment