Monday, April 24, 2023

AQUABIKE RACE REPORT; USAT MULTISPORT FESTIVAL IRVING, TX 2023

 Race Report


The Aquabike (1500m swim and 40 K bike) was the third and last race of the festival for me.  They had individual medley relay and relay races on Sunday, but I completed my last race on Saturday.  I could have gone back to spectate, but the weather was pretty chilly and raining all day so I skipped it.  

Saturday afternoon at about 2PM, my wave jumped in at the Lake Carolyn Pier and held on for a wave start.  We had a very big wave so the start was pretty choppy, with lots of flapping arms and splashing at the outset.  I tried to slow my start a bit because the last two races, I had started out too fast and pushed my HR too high and risked a panic attack.  So I decided to swim long and strong strokes for the whole course.  I also decided to use my wetsuit that day.  While the water temp was 71F and I knew I'd be fine, I decided from looking at my first two races (with and without) that I was about 20-25 sec faster per 100 with the wetsuit, and that made it worth it.  I could end up 6-10 minutes faster with it; so removal time would leave me with a net gain of a few minutes.  I felt good on the swim, but I did have some feelings of, "Can I actually do this?" at about 600 m.  This was the longest OWS I had done in 3 years, pre-cancer.  I had done mile long continuous pool swim before this race, but that was it.  I had been working mostly on sprints and intervals to try to regain my 100 yd pace.  I'm still hovering between 1:50 and 1:40 per 100 yd pace most days.  That means I'll be slower in OWS for me.  Some may be faster, but I know I have to spot more to stay straight, and sometimes I have to slow for cramping and goggle fogging.  

At about 800 m, I was swimming comfortably but the calf cramps started so I had to flex my foot, which also slows my pace a bit.  I stopped kicking a few times as well to try to let the cramps let up.  My toes cramped a bit as well. I rounded the first turn buoy and headed for the second after bumping into the same person over and over.  Likely we were both not swimming straight, but I was frustrated by my inability to keep away from her.  This continued the whole swim.  About that time, the wave behind us caught up so the first turn was very congested, and I got hit and slapped on the head a few times.  No biggie.  I got to the second turn buoy and felt pretty good, but soon after I had to clear my goggles because I wasn't sure if I was looking at buoys or kayakers.  I didn't wear my contacts, so I'm a bit nearsighted on the swims normally.  Sighting can be a small issue, causing me to have to raise my head up more than just a quick lift.  Anyway, bumping along with this same swimmer, we two made it to the finish.  I did try to draft her, but her speed was so variable that I would pass her then she's do a bunch o kicking and catching up.  I was slightly annoyed but not greatly.  It happens.  I was happy to be racing again.  I knew I had a challenge on the bike coming up.  

My only hope was to finish the race that day. I knew I was not in the best condition and that this race was more demanding than anything I had trained for since 2019, so it was a question in my mind how I might do it.  My longest bike ride outside was last October for 18 miles. 

Knowing I didn't have to run meant I could leave it all on the bike course, so that was something.  

I got out, climbing up the steep carpeted ladder, a bit dizzy but stabilized and managed a quick walk.  I knew running would not be a good idea, elevating my HR higher was going to reduce my ability to stabilize on the bike.  I noted that my swim was 36 min on my Garmin.  The official time is a bit faster I think.  I had decided I'd take my time in transition and not pressure myself to be extra fast.  I was not going to win or podium today, so there is no reason to try to shave seconds.  I sat down, put on my socks and shoes...hoping to avoid blisters, clipped on my helmet, stuck my Garmin on the bike holder, and set out.  The wetsuit came off pretty quickly, and I'd removed my goggles and cap on the walk-in. 

I quickly walked the distance to the mount line, and fortunately, I remembered to lower the gears on the bike for a faster, easier start so I got rolling easily.  The wind was mild at the start, but soon it became very challenging.  I remembered also to advance my Garmin to biking and saw about a 6-minute transition time.  Okay.  In the past, my transitions were 3 minutes and 2 minutes for T1 and T2, but recall I told myself to relax and enjoy...so I did.  

The bike route was a 3 loop path with a nice climb at about 3-4 miles and then a few turns and a fast descent the last 2-3 miles for the turn again, into the wind.  That wind was tough.  20-25 knots with gusts up to 30 knots, I estimate.  I was doing 5-8 mph on that section, and as I tired, I had more and more trouble regaining my speed on the flats and the turns.  I also started out with a huge cramp on my left thigh that went down the inside of the leg. This presaged continuing cramps all over my body the whole ride.  Next went the calves, first left then right.  I had to try to stand on the pedals to stretch them out, which meant, no pedaling.  Then my hands cramped.  Then my left side cramped.  I had plenty of electrolytes and water on board, but nothing seemed to help.  Meanwhile the wind was sucking the water off my body fast.  I ran out of water on mile 20 so for the last 4 I had no hydration.  

Chris Navin did the race too and was in a wave behind me.  He passed me on about mile 3 I think.  I saw him on the loops a couple more times and shouted encouragement at him.  Amanda Moswin passed me on about mile 16 I think and shouted her encouragement to me.  I was wondering if I'd finish at that point.  I decided it didn't matter where I finished; just that I did finish so I accepted my condition and slow speed and did as much as I could do and let go of the internal chatter that had been chastising me for much of the ride.  I would finish.  

And I did.  I wore my Base Ireland Onesy so it was very distinctive and many folks commented on it and yelled out to me during the race.  The announcer happily shouted my name as I crossed the finish and I was all smiles.  

I got my towel and my medal and stopped to chat with Chris and Amanda and Shelley and realized I was a bit dizzy and nauseous. They encouraged me to go to the med tent and told me they'd watch my bike.  I went in and told them my situation, (cancer, and now a new issue that is yet to be clarified) and laid down with my Gatorade for about 10 minutes.  I felt better and managed to wander out and pick up my bike and my stuff.  

I had a moment, though, when we were all standing at the VIP tent fence, and I thanked Chris, Shelley, and Amanda, and Amanda said: "We love you!"  Chris and Shelley agreed.  I said I loved them too, but I really was so touched I got tears in my eyes.  Yes I love my friends but Have so rarely felt lovable even though I try to be that when someone tells me this it really sort of guts me. 

So the best part of the racing is the community for me. I'd so love to be a podium finisher.  I'm a competitor at heart.  And this is just the beginning of the road back for me.  I have a few post-cancer PRs to beat now.  Just hope this new diagnosis is a minor glitch for me, and I can plan for more races and PRs this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment