Tuesday, December 24, 2019

12 days of Christmas workouts

Related image

If you have been swimming awhile you have probably seen the 12 days of Christmas swim sets.  However, some of you may be new to this idea.  It's normally an extended set that builds according to some design that follows the 12 days format in some fashion.  I've seen workouts that go as high as 10000 yds.

Today I did 3200 meters in 1:06.  I only had about an hour to spare since it's Christmas Eve and I still have presents to wrap and things to take care of.  But it was a great workout and I was happily tired at the end of it.

I've included my workout today and several others from around the net.  I hope you enjoy one of them.  It's a really nice challenge to go for a longer swim and the variety is interesting but easy to recall if you don't have the workout with you.  Whichever one you complete, I guarantee you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.  The idea isn't necessarily speed but completion here.  Doing a really long workout gives you the confidence that you can complete a significant challenge.  I still remember the day I completed 5000 yds.  Three years later I know where I did it and how I felt afterwards.  When you're done, treat yourself to a great breakfast if you swim early and celebrate your athleticism.  You deserve it!
Image result for swimming santa
Merry Christmas Happy Chanukah Happy Kwanzaa Happy Holidays.
Happy Swimming Athletes!
Terri

Image result for swimming santaWhat I did  
(I had to shorten the set but ostensibly you would keep going until you had done 5000 yds for the full set)
2 X 100 W/U
4 X 75 swim buoy focused on stroke
6 X 25 kickboard and skills
8 X 100  easy medium, easy, all out (by 25)
10 X 75 swim buoy focused on counting strokes
12 X 25  kick board and skills
4 X 25 kickboard and skills
4 X 100 C/D

Some Other Workouts

“The 12 Days of Christmas” Swim Workout 
(all sets, about 20-seconds rest)
12 x 75 Swim, steady, every 3rd repeat = no freestyle
11 x 50 Swim, steady, alternate free/stroke
10 x 25 Steady, alternate 25 kick / 25 swim
 9 x 75 Swim, last 25 always best effort
8 x 50 Swim, steady
7 x 25 Swim, fast
6 x 75 Swim, steady
5 x 50 Swim, fast
4 x 25 Kick, fast
3 x 75 Swim, fast
2 x 50 Swim, fast
1 x 100 Swim, big finish! Cool down as desired
TOTAL DISTANCE = 4,100
This swimming workout is a holiday special, counting down from 12 repeats to 1 repeat. Swimmers do a set like this the day before Christmas. This workout is designed to take between 75-minutes and 90-minutes. If that is too much time or distance, then cut things out, but do not always cut out the same thing every workout. And never skip the cool down at the end of the workout.

Swim Blogger Set 

detroit-athletic-club-swimworkout-myswimpro



This 5,850-yard swim set (all 75s) may be the cheesiest—or best?—workout idea yet. Carve out a good chunk of pool time and prepare to create a deficit for all those cookies you’re about to eat.
Here’s how it works: Each “day” is one 75, broken up in a different way. You’ll swim day 1. Then you’ll swim day 2, day 1. Then day 3, day 2, day 1. The idea is to keep adding on to the set and work your way back to number one. Choose a comfortable interval that will give you about 5-8 seconds rest every 75. (Note that some 75s, such as those with breaststroke will be slower than others.)
Sung (at least somewhat) to the tune of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a 75 free!
On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, one free-drill-free and a 75 free!
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me, one hypoxic 3/5/3, one free-drill-free and a 75 free!
Print this out and bring it to the pool deck.
1. Freestyle
2. Freestyle-drill-freestyle
3. Hypoxic, breathe every 3/5/3
4. Backstroke/freestyle/backstroke
5. Freestyle
6. Drill-freestyle-drill
7. Hypoxic, breathe every 5/7/5
8. Breaststroke/freestyle/breaststroke
9. Freestyle
10. Breaststroke/backstroke/breaststroke
11. Hypoxic, breathe every 7/9/7
12. Pull

12x100s warm up 

3 EZ, 3 K/S, 3 IM, 3 build

11x 11-second sprints

3 kick, 3 swim, 3 with fins

10 “Lords of Leaping” during a 200 pull

*hop out on deck and do 10 squats in between each 25*

9 x “Ladies Dancing” 25s underwaters to 15M or better

*Everyone must sing a chorus of a christmas song in between each 25*

8x 75s Indy IM

(Pattern: FL/BK/BR, FR/FL/BK, BR/FR/FL, BK/BR/FR)

7x 50s best stroke

6 minute kick

*tossing around a candy cane pullbuoy, the lane that has it must sprint kick*

5x50s progressive build (gear 1-5)

*style this your own way, fly doesn’t hurt!*

4x25s @R5 seconds 100 Pace

*essentially a broken 100*

3 minute recover

*my age-groupers loved to stand in the showers, but it’s your call*

2x50s ALL OUT from blocks

1 FR, 1 choice of stroke

1 “Santa’s Sack” Relay

*mesh bag, snorkel, 2 fins, kickboard, paddles* Every lane has a person swim a 25, retrieves the item, and swims a 25 back with it, filling the bag as it goes along the lane. First to fill the bag and finish wins!

On the first day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
1 x 100 easy free 

On the second day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
2 x 75s drill

On the third day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
3 x 50s descend

On the fourth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
4 x 100s IM

On the fifth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
5 x 50s sprint ALL OUT!

On the sixth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
6 x 100s pull

On the seventh day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
7 x 50s alternate IM/IM transition 

On the eighth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
8 x 25s no breath freestyle 

On the ninth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
9 x 75s build to 90% effort

On the tenth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
10 x 50s kick alternate 3 build/2 fast

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
11 x 25s alternate 1 free easy/1 stroke fast

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my workout gave to me…
12 x 100s hold best average

No comments:

Post a Comment